Strategies for ADHD: How Counselors Help Today’s Students Succeed
The Difference Between ADD and ADHD
Symptoms of ADHD
Helping Students with ADHD
Strategies for School Counselors
Strategies for Teachers
- Seating the student near the teacher’s desk or away from distractions like windows or the corridor.
- Splitting longer assignments into smaller segments, and providing more breaks during class time.
- Seating students in an area where there will be the least disruption, such as along the side of the classroom.
- Creating opportunities for movement throughout the day, such as completing assignments sitting on the floor or helping with class activities (e.g., handing out activity sheets).
Strategies for Parents
- Provide positive communication and reinforcement; praise and reward good behavior with things as simple as stickers.
- Create and maintain as much structure in their day-to-day life as possible, such as providing written to-do lists for chores.
- Practice strategies at home that are covered during therapy sessions.